Monday, January 5, 2009

Saved off the Cabana deck - Jan 4th report


After spending New Years in Acapulco, we were back in Tenancingo Jan 4th to join the boys for some flying at La Malinche.

It was a start of a great flying day with a little haze and cumus popping from the the King's bed to left of launch. I was the first in our group to launch (it was early), right into a royal flush! I was sinking so fast I thought geez I am going to bomb out even before the official LZ. I hug as hard to the hill as I could then I headed straight to the Cabana's LZ. About 100 ft from the landing deck my vario went beep, then beep beep and again and again. Locked in my Ozone Geo II and Bingo!! nailed the thermal to 2800 meters. Very sweet save....

Daniel Miller was right behind me in his 2nd flight in a very used Fly Design Boxtair he had bought and I delivered. The Boxtair was twitchy, launched terribly and this by the way will be his last flight on this wing.

After 30 minutes or so ridge soaring La Malinche a group of 4 pilots joined me at cloud based and we worked sweet air in the flats of Tenancingo with the plan to fly to Tecomatlan soccer fields. We were near our goal when a radio reported that Daniel's wing stalled and went into a helicopter spin (what is with that??!) stopping hard into a cement wall. Long of short we landed beside him simply amazed that he is walking and talking to people around him. I have posted a picture of the red beast launching, a careful eye will see all issues while Daniel Launches the Flight Design. WE all very happy he is ok, he is now forced to reverse launch cause he broke 3 ribs! I told him I would talk with my friend Jim Reich to provide a newer safer wing within his weight range.

Brad

No comments: